Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Few Reflections on Costa Rica: Printable Version

I have decided not to share some of the insights I gained from my mission trip to Costa Rica in this blog.  Instead, I'm going to take a few more days to meditate and reflect on how God worked in mine and Myranda's lives while we were there.  Instead, I am posting some pictures for you to enjoy!


This is the cross on top of the chapel at the Methodist Center where we stayed.  The bougainvillea in the foreground was blooming all over the Central Valley.  It was so warm that I forgot that it was still winter in the United States.



Our first Sunday worship service.  Most of the group is pictured here.  A couple of them were still visiting to the side. 

Sunday lunch at a local restaurant.  It's hard to see in this picture, but the food is served on wooden boards covered with a banana leaf.  The food was very good; although I've never had as many beans and rice in my life.  Literally, we ate them 3 meals a day.


This is a picture of the head chef while we were at the center.  He is an excellent chef and the perfect host.  I visited with his wife one morning and asked her where she got his hat.  She told me that she got it in one of the local stores.  I told her I was going to see if I could find one like it.  She grabbed it off of his head and gave it to me.  I couldn't believe it.  She also gave me one of his aprons.  I am so proud of my hat and apron.


This is one of the women who helped in the kitchen.  Like all of the staff, she was so sweet and welcoming.
 

Bonnie, one of the members of the group, picked up my camera one morning and took several pictures.  This was one of them.  I'm not sure what I'm listening to, but it must have been important!


Myranda was able to experience the IBS class alongside the Costa Rican pastors.  She has not had the opportunity to take a class while we've been in Kentucky, but she did get to while we were there.


Kim is one of the many new friends that was on our mission team.  She is listening to the daily devotional message that we had each morning.


Dr. Steve Gober and Dr. Mike Matlock are presenting the IBS material to one of the morning sessions.  Dr. Matlock is a professor on the virtual campus at Asbury and was the teacher of our Psalms class before we left for Costa Rica.  Dr. Gober was a missionary to Costa Rica for about 17 years and now serves on the Orlando Campus.  Dr. Gober is translating for Dr. Matlock here.


This is one of the girls who came to VBS every day while we were there.  She brought her dog, Benji, with her.  On the first day, the kids made Benji a name tag and placed it around his neck.  You can see the colored string on his back.

For three of the days we presented a story from the Bible illustrating how God is "wild" about people.  Waleska, on the right, narrated the story in Spanish while a few of us acted out the drama.  This is a shot of the final day.  We showed the kids that God is so wild about them that he sent his son Jesus to teach us, die for us, and redeem us through the power of his resurrection.  We received an encore with the chant "Otra! Otra!  Otra!"  We obliged by doing it again.


This is part of the group that I helped with each day.  My buddy and I had the older boys in our group.  They really enjoyed the crafts but couldn't wait until it was futbol time.


My partner in crime, Ed.  He and I worked together each day at VBS.


Many of the buildings have a wall or fence to protect them.  On one side, this church had a large wall in place.  One of the members of the group had the idea to make it into a prayer wall.  We bought chalk and had the kids write and draw on the wall prayers of thanksgiving.  In this picture, you can see that the little girl drew the story of the day.


The kids are lined up for snacks at the end of VBS. 


This man came to VBS with his family.  He enjoyed working on the crafts as much as the kids did.  Myranda entertained him with her Spanish speaking abilities.


Myranda and I both fell in love with this little girl.  Her name is Ashlie and she just melted our hearts.  I think she would have fit right into the Wilhite household.


This little boy was having a rough afternoon.  He was standing over to the side crying on the last day.  I'm not sure what happened, but he was tattling on someone for making him cry.


The kids loved on us before they left the last day.  I was so blessed.


Myranda with part of her crew before they left for the last time.

 This is the ramp that leads to the upstairs Sunday school rooms.  I'm not sure it would pass inspection here, but they didn't have any problems with it.


It wasn't all work.  Part of the group decided to go zip lining through the jungle.  I chose not to participate in this activity but Myranda was gung-ho about it.


While the others were zip lining, the rest of us went into La Fortuna.  As we waited in one of the cafes, the bird landed across the ally from us.  I'm not sure what kind he is but he was beautiful.

Some plants growing in La Fortuna.

This is a house at the end of the ally in La Fortuna.  I really think I could live here.

 Waleska was such a treasure to all of us.  She is originally from Puerto Rico and is bilingual.  I'm sure she got tired of me asking her "Como se dice..."  but she never complained. 

That's it for now.  I will be posting again soon. 

+God bless each one of you and please remember to pray for Costa Rica.
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment