Monday, March 21, 2011

God Grant Us Justice

The last several days I have been reading from the gospel of St. Luke.  In this morning's reading, I came across the parable of the widow and the unjust judge.  This parable is found in the 18th chapter verses 1-8.  

"Then Jesus told them a parable about their need to pray always and not to lose heart.  He said, "In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people.  In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, 'Grant me justice against my opponent.'  For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, 'Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.'  And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says.  And will not God grant justice to his chosen ones who cry to him day and night?  Will he delay long in helping them?  I tell you, he will quickly grant justice to them.  And yet, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"


In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him ...
This parable really intrigued me this morning as I meditated on it.  The first thing that came to me was the characters that Jesus placed within this story.  I remembered that women, especially widows, were generally not treated well during ancient times.  Jesus used one of the least as the example that the people of God should emulate.  In addition, Jesus made it clear that the judge was someone who was not following the two greatest commandments, to love God and to love his neighbor.  Something else that struck me was the fact that it seems as though the judge knows that the woman has been treated unjustly.  She's not coming to him desiring anything more that what the law commands that she receive.

In 2008, Jeb Bush appointed Charles Canady to the Florida Supreme Court.  I can honestly say that I don't know much about Florida politics or their judicial system.  However, here is a quote by Canady on the day he was sworn in:



I did a little bit of research and found out that Canady is a Christian who is active in his local church.  His quote really made me sit up and take notice.  Two things he says here coincide with Jesus' parable.

First, Canady states, "For those of you who pray..."  That is a fascinating statement to me.  I realize that he was speaking to an entire state, some of whom are not Christian.  Even if he were speaking to a group that were all Christian, I'm afraid that he could say the same thing; for those of you who pray.  In my experience, many people talk about praying but few actually follow through.  Over the years I have learned the incredible responsibility and joy in having a prayer life.  I have also been an unfaithful servant who has failed to take time and devote a period of prayer to God.  One thing I have learned from both experiences is that I am a much better individual and can serve God better when I have an active prayer life and that many times the entire community benefits from praying people.

The other thing he says here the I absolutely love is the fact that he is cognizant of the fact that as a man of authority within society he must remain "a faithful servant of our Lord."  He is absolutely correct.  In our capacities within the civil society we are to do our jobs faithfully and completely as servants of the Most High God.

I don't know about any of Canady's decisions or if he has remained a faithful servant of the Lord.  But his statement reminded me that I have not been one who is faithful to pray for justice.  I have not remembered to pray for the judges in the United States or anywhere else seeking that God's "will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

I encourage you to pray for your local judges on a regular basis.  Whether they are Christian or not they are in positions of authority and what they decide matters.  If you know judges, I encourage you to go by and express your thanks to them and offer to pray for them in person.  In general, let's remember to pray for justice so that when the Son of Man comes he will find faith in his justice on earth.
Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment