Thursday, July 14, 2011

Speaking the Truth in Love.





Ephesians 4:15
My first couple of weeks as the pastor of First UMC Haskell has been interesting, exciting, and fun.  I really didn't know what to expect when I first got here, but honestly I never would have thought that it would be as enjoyable as it has been.  Now I'm not saying that there hasn't been some frustrations and that there hasn't been a couple of surprises along the way, but I am saying that I'm really glad God called me into the pastorate.

Last week, I was asked to do a funeral for a man I never met.  I did speak to him on the phone once, but that was the extent of our relationship.  When I sat down with his family to go over the service, they were gracious, kind, and understanding of the situation in which we found ourselves.  At the end of the service, they were pleased with what had been said and so I was happy that they had felt the love of God through the words spoken.  One of the most interesting things about that funeral actually happened after the service was over when I sat down with some of the family to visit at the lunch that our ladies provided.  One of the members of the family was visiting with me about some things and he gave me his testimony.  He excitedly told me how God got a hold of him a few years before and how God hasn't let go since.  I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

But that's not the best part of the story.  At one point in our conversation he told me an observation that he has made over the last few years.  He said, "Preacher, I've noticed something about ministers.  There are some guys who make great preachers but are terrible pastors.  There are some guys who make great pastors but are terrible preachers.  It's really rare to find both qualities in one person."  This comment really got me to thinking.  Over the last several years I have heard many, many preachers.  Some have been good, some have been not so good.  A couple have been exceptional, and one or two have been down right awful.  I'm not sure where my rating falls on the scale, but I do try to preach from the Scripture and I do the best I can to hear from God before, during, and after sermon preparation.

As far as pastoring goes, I try to be intentional in visiting with those who are lonely, sick, and heavy burdened.  I try to keep up with the comings and goings of the fine folks of Haskell UMC.  I'm not sure where I fall on this scale either; I'm sure I could do better in both preaching and pastoring.


Regardless of my own abilities, I think what I am just beginning to realize is that there is a fine balance between preaching and pastoring.  A person called into ordained ministry really can't neglect one in order to do the other extremely well.  Those of us in full time ministry really need to strive, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to do the very best that we can in both areas.  I think that may be partly what Paul was talking about in Ephesians 4.  His main point was that all the people of God should continue to strive to live a life that reflects God's loving presence in our life and to be his people according to the Holy Word.  The unity of the body of Christ is paramount for us to be a light unto the nations.

As a pastor, verse 15-16 are verses for me to continually strive to attain.  "But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every ligament with which it is equipped, as each part is working properly, promotes the body's growth in building itself up in love."  In preaching, I hope to speak the truth.  In pastoring I hope to show the love of God.  I hope that my work in the pastorate is a healthy combination of truth and love so that the body of Christ is knit together and is built up for the proper work of our Father.

So as of today, that's where I am.  I'm pushing myself in both of these directions.  My prayer is that I will continue that healthy balance between truth and love.  When we think about it we remember that God is both.  God is love and Jesus Christ is the truth.  May each one of us be imitators of Christ in all we say and do.
Until next time...

+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.+

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment