Thursday, August 4, 2011

When He Came to Himself...

This past semester I took a class on spiritual formation.  One of the assignments that we were given was to take a day for personal reflection, prayer, and meditation.  I decided to use that day of prayer to seek God's direction for me as I entered my first appointment with the Church.  During that time of reflection, the Spirit led me to the parables of Jesus Christ.  As I read through those familiar stories I began to sense that the LORD wanted me to preach through the parables the first few weeks that I was in Haskell.  I made a calendar and began to choose which parable I would preach on which Sunday.  Back in April I thought this would be a fun way of entering into the community of faith with my parishioners.

The more time I've spent in these stories told by Jesus, the more I realize that perhaps this sermon series was less for them and more for me.  I have gained so many valuable things in my own spiritual development that I have literally been driven to my knees in prayer, confession, and seeking God's mercy.  I have been reminded over and over of God's great compassion and love that he has for all people.  I have also been reminded of humanity's self-centered attitude and our amazing ability to forget all the good things that the LORD our God has done for us.

This past Sunday I preached from the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32).  This parable is quite possibly the most beautiful short story I have ever read.    I'm sure you're all well aware of this story and the final outcome, so I won't rehash all of that.  But one thing that has really been impressed upon me since I proclaimed this message is how truly loving our Father is.  Because of his desire for us to have our own mind he allows us to leave down the road with our inheritance.  Yet, in his heart he continues to love us and desire for us "to come to ourselves" (or "come to our senses"--NIV).  He genuinely desires that intimate relationship with us but he will not force it upon us.

The more I've thought about this story, the more I see how loving our Father is.  In the song "Wonderful, Merciful Savior" we are reminded how far the Father has gone in reclaiming us as his own.  In verse 1, we are told of Jesus Christ and his death on the cross so that we can be reconciled to our Father.  In verse 2, we are told of the Holy Spirit and his active pursuit of us even when we leave with every intention of never returning.  He helps us come to our senses so that we can come back to the Father.  And then, of course, is the Father.  Verse 3 speaks of him.  When we return, there he is...loving us, having compassion on us, and placing a ring on our finger, a robe on our back, and sandals on our feet.  All that we can do is fall down in confession and in humiliation, and he responds in steadfast love with grace.

I have learned to love our Father more this week.  I have learned to appreciate the Son more this week.  I have also learned to lean on the Spirit more this week.  Perhaps that is a part of the Christian journey.  Loving, appreciating, and leaning on God in all three persons more and more as we walk the road of life.

I encourage you to read through the story of the prodigal son, think about your own faith journey, and then reflect on that as you listen to Selah's version of "Wonderful, Merciful Savior."  






Until next time...

+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Print Page

1 comment:

  1. Preacher man just did a sermon on the wedding banquet and the robe of Christ is what stands out in both of these parables for me! Keep blogging friend, you have lots to say!!

    ReplyDelete