Thursday, November 3, 2011

For All The Saints...

This week we celebrate one of my favorite holy days of the Christian year.  Each year as we approach the first of November, I find myself looking to it with great anticipation.  I'm not sure exactly why, but All Saints Day has become a day that I cherish.  It has become a holy day that touches me deep inside.  It has become a beloved way for me to reflect upon the previous year and give glory to the Father, rejoice the Son, and praise the Holy Spirit.

When All Saints Day comes around each year, it helps me to pause in my daily walk with the LORD.  It gives me an opportunity to slow down for a few precious moments and remember.  I remember those men and women of faith from church history who boldly and courageously stood their ground when they were  attacked for their beliefs.  I remember the fathers and mothers of the Church who did not give up, even in the midst of strife.  I remember men and women of faith who saw corruption in churches world wide and allowed their faith in Jesus Christ to stand above denominational loyalties.  I remember Sunday school teachers, preachers, and others who helped shape me from birth.  I remember brothers and sisters who sat with me in times of need.  I remember words of advice, encouragement, and truth spoken in love.
Solemnity of All Saints--Albrecht  Durer
Sometimes the path that the LORD God places us on to walk is not an easy one.  Sometimes we hit bumps and pot holes that jar our teeth and make us want to turn around and go back.  All Saints Day helps me to keep moving forward.  That great cloud of witnesses makes me want to keep running the race.  They make me want to keep fighting the fight.  They help me to keep moving forward.

Through the Holy Spirit we are united with all people who have been the people of God at all times.  The Holy Spirit draws us together as the communion of the saints.  We truly are built up into a body with Christ as our head.  All Saints Day reinforces this for us each year.  It widens our perspective on what it means to be a part of Christ's Holy Church.

This coming Sunday we will celebrate the saints who have passed over into glory from our local church.  We will also celebrate the fact that we are the communion of saints united to one another and to the Father through the Son.  All Saints Day is truly a celebration that focuses us on the past and helps us to push forward into the future.  And for that, we can all be truly thankful!  Until next time...

+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you.



Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment