Friday, June 7, 2013

Ordination (AKA The Beginning of An Era)

Last week at this time, I was contemplating my upcoming ordination.  I looked to the past and recounted the last several years that led up to this point in my life.  I anticipated what it would mean to be ordained as an Elder in the United Methodist Church.  But what I've come to understand and appreciate is that ordination is a moment in time.  It is a good point to reflect upon where God has been leading me and begin to wonder where he will take me next.  It also has spurred me on to think about transitions and new beginnings.

One of those new beginnings was in our episcopal leadership at this year's conference.  The Northwest Texas Conference recently was appointed a new bishop.  It was interesting to see how Bishop Bledsoe leads, how he interacts with people, and how he preaches and teaches.  Our new bishop brought a lot of energy and excitement to conference.  He also brought high expectations of us...both clergy and laity.

As we moved forward with conference, I found myself getting more and more excited.  The reports, the opportunities for ministry, and the financial health of our denomination is looking better than it has.  The staff of our conference office is intentionally seeking out ways to be a part of our ministries as United Methodists.  They are listening to the needs and challenges of the local churches.  And what impressed me the most is that they are being proactive in making a way for new ways of working and communicating.

Finally, on Wednesday night, it was time for the ordination service.  I guess in some ways I found myself nervous.  I was ready to move forward with the final goal of ordination.  And when it came time for the Bishops and others to place their hands on me, I really didn't know how I would feel.  The one word that comes to mind that happened at that exact moment was the word "heavy."  As the leadership of our denomination laid hands on me, I literally felt the weight of the situation.  It was as though the entire burden of what it means to be in ministry was being placed upon my shoulders.  As Bishop Bledsoe said "Dustin Wilhite, take thou authority..." the overwhelming responsibilities, expectations, challenges, and opportunities collided.  It was at that moment that I realized that ordination is not the end of a seven year process where I was now going to be able to rest on my education and spiritual growth.  Ordination was simply a stopping point on the journey of being in full-time ministry.  It was a point where I could gather up my courage so that more ministry, more love, and more of Christ could be poured into who I am as a person and as a pastor; not for myself, but for those whom I'm sent to serve.

On the last day of conference, Bishop Bledsoe preached a wonderful sermon on the Transfiguration of Christ on the mountain.  It was during this sermon that all of what had happened to me leading me up to this particular conference meeting began fully to make sense.  The ordination service was a special moment in my life.  It was a marker along my spiritual path where I joyfully shared a moment in time with three other men.  But it wasn't just an ending; it was also a beginning.  It was the beginning of a new part of my ministry and a new way of being held responsible for my actions and decisions.

So with all this newness around me, I remember the beauty of God's wondrous grace as he leads us through our lives.  In order for something new to come about, the old must pass away.  While it's hard sometimes to let go of the old, the familiar, the comfortable, we must let go in order to continue to move forward.  We must learn to embrace changes and learn how to minister wherever we find ourselves.

In his sermon, the bishop said that we can't freeze moments in time like Peter tried to do on the mountaintop.  Instead, we have to enjoy the moment, pray, and move back down the mountain in order to do ministry.  So while ordination was a point in my life that I would like to have frozen in time, I can't.  It's a moment I will always remember and cherish.  But it's also a moment where I cannot live.

LORD, our God, I ask in the name of Jesus Christ that  you help each one of us to move forward.  Help us to embrace the newness of life each day.  Give us the strength to step outside of ourselves in order to be made into the likeness of your blessed Son.  While we may remember those special times of mountaintops, send us into the valley for ministry.  And help us to never say, "But we've never done it like that before."  We pray this to you our glorious Father, through your glorious Son Jesus Christ, by the power and authority of the the Holy Spirit.  Amen





Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment