Friday, December 2, 2011

Prepare the Way of the Lord

I was talking with a good friend of mine and fellow pastor this week.  He has been a pastor for many years now and I always appreciate the wisdom that he brings to our conversations.  I admitted to him that when I started preaching from the lectionary back in November that I thought it would be easier, but just the opposite  has proved true.  It has gotten even harder the last two weeks as I have prepared my sermons for Advent.

Many people think of Advent as the days that count down until we celebrate Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior.  While that is true, that is only part of the purpose of Advent.  The bigger message of this season is that Jesus Christ will return in his full glory and we will meet him in the sky as a new day of celebration.  However, until then we are to be working.

This week, the lectionary readings focused on proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ the Son of God.  The primary text that I am using is found in St. Mark 1:1-8.  Mark uses these verses as background information about John the baptizer who appeared in the wilderness ahead of Jesus to a message of repentance before he moves on to tell about Jesus' ministry.

John Preaching in the wilderness.  (Corbis)


I've been thinking about John's message as he preached about the coming Kingdom of God and what that means for contemporary Christianity.  It seems as though we have lost our voice.  Our churches no longer are interested in preaching in the wilderness.  We prefer to write checks and call that our ministry.  I'm not so sure that is what we are called to do.  But I'm afraid that until our hearts are broken, until our eyes fill with tears for those we are called to proclaim the wondrous message of Jesus Christ, our voices will remain mute.  I'm afraid that Advent has become like other parts of the church whereby we have sanitized it to the point where we no longer get dirty.  We no longer wander forth into the messiness of the world and touch those who need to be touched.

I'm as guilty as anyone else in this area.  I too need to get dirty and to come in contact with those who need to encounter Emmanuel.  After all, perhaps it is only through us that God truly becomes present to others.  The way we live our lives should reflect the message of Advent.  That message is summed up by this early proclaimer of Advent when he stated "The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop and untie the thong of his sandals.  I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."  Let it be so.

Until next time...

+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God the Father, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you.

"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money.  Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them.  So, spread your love everywhere you go."--Mother Teresa






Print Page

1 comment: