Thursday, August 30, 2012

Face-to-face

I love the fall!  When we lived in Kentucky I came to appreciate this season so much.  Growing up in the panhandle of Texas, the seasons don't always follow the calendar.  It's not unusual to have a blistering day followed by a severe cold front the next.  It's also not unusual to have spring in the summer, fall in the winter, or even winter in the winter.  Usually the weather changes on a regular basis...but you're just not certain which season will come next.

But that wasn't the case in Kentucky.  Their weather followed a fairly predictable pattern.  The months of September and October would steal the heat and humidity of summer and we would be left with warm days and cool nights.  The green leaves of the growing season would change to bright reds and brilliant golds.  In fact, we would have enough leaves fall to the ground that we would rake them up and the girls would play in the piles.

But I've learned to love fall for other reasons too.  As a teacher, fall always brought the challenges and excitement of a new school year.  Learning new faces, names, and routines always helped make life richer and fuller.  Watching my kids get excited about school and getting involved in various activities brings a smile to my face.  When they come home from school and tell me about what they have learned, I understand their satisfaction of learning and growing up.

As a pastor I've come to appreciate fall for other reasons.  After a summer of so many people traveling, it is nice to see our pews filling up again.  But, it's more than just having fuller worship services.  I genuinely miss seeing people when they are gone.  I miss having interaction and sharing life with them.  I understand that we all like to travel and to visit family and friends in other places, but I also like to have my faith community gathered together each week.  So fall is turning into a great re-gathering of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  While there may be several people gone this Sunday due to the long week-end, I anticipate the coming weeks as our routines return.

In 1 Thessalonians, St. Paul is eager to see the church in Thessalonica.  He writes to them "Brothers and sisters, we were separated from you for a while physically but not in our hearts.  We made every effort in our desire to see you again face-to-face.  We wanted to come to you--I, Paul, tried over and over again--and Satan stopped us.  What is our hope, joy, or crown that we can brag about in front of our Lord Jesus when he comes?  Isn't it all of you?  You are our glory and joy!" (2:17-20).  I understand his eagerness.  I also desire to see those who have been gone throughout the summer.  I have come to love the people of Haskell UMC and they are my glory and joy.

While its true that I look forward to changing leaves, cooler temperatures, and fall activities, the real joy I anticipate is the reunification of our local church.  I look forward to laughing at their summer hijinks.  I hope to hear about family reunions and exciting trips.  But most of all, I can't wait to look out into my congregation and see all of the faces that were separated from us during the summer.  Until next time...

+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God the Father, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment