Thursday, August 2, 2012

How Do They Know?


A few weeks ago my friend Bill Hogan (who I greatly admire) posted a quote on his Facebook page.  He stated, "Don't be the best church in the community, be the best church for the community"--Eric Swanson.  This quote summed up what I have been thinking for the last several months.  It seems as though churches are no longer relevant within their communities.  We try to do all kinds of things to draw people to us, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of life we prefer to step aside.  We expect government social programs, educational institutions, or others to fill the gap so that people are able to have their needs met.

But I don't see that as the calling of the church community.  I see that our calling is to be so enmeshed in the wider community around us that the city government, the local schools, and the welfare programs can count on us to be there even when government funding stops.  I guess that's why this whole Chick-fil-a controversy makes me so angry.

Don't get me wrong; I fully understand both sides of the argument.  I understand that there is a "freedom of speech" component.  I understand that people have the right to boycott establishments if they so desire.  I understand that not all Christians will be of the same opinion on every topic.  I really do understand all of that.


However, what really bothers me about the whole thing is that Christians have become more passionate on both sides of this issue than they have about any number of other things.  I see people proudly displaying Chick-fil-a sacks on their social networking sites.  I see people bashing those who eat at the restaurant and calling them all kinds of horrible names.  And to what avail?  What's the outcome?   Hate.

In St. John's gospel, Jesus gave his farewell discourse to the disciples.  And in that discourse he stated all sorts of wonderful and amazing things.  One thing he said was this, "I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."--13:34-35.

Well, I can honestly say that I haven't seen much love from either side.  I see people purposefully trying to hurt, harm, and be nasty to their brothers and sisters in Christ.  Whether we approve of a certain lifestyle or not, it does not make someone a Christian.  There are many different life styles by many different people, who I know personally that I don't approve of, and yet they claim Christ too.  Since that is the case, then according to Scripture, I must love them.


So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's time for this kind of non-sense to quit taking our focus from the reality of being the best church for the community.  It's time we put as much time, energy, and enthusiasm for caring for the sick, visiting those in prison, and feeding the children as we have into this fight.  It's time we become truly relevant within our community so that others will come to know the love of Jesus Christ too.   Until next time...



+May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God the Father, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.





Print Page

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Thanks for expressing a Christian perspective from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alice. I appreciate your feedback. And as always, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete