Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wilhite's Rules

Fall has officially arrived; the new television season has begun.  A couple of years ago, I started watching some of the crime shows on TV.  NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist, and Criminal Minds.  All of these shows have the same basic plot format.  A crime occurs (usually a murder), a group of people come together as a team to gather evidence, work on DNA found, and catch the bad guy.  I'm not sure what it is about these shows that is appealing, but I can't help myself.  I really enjoy seeing the teamwork, the camaraderie, and how the people go about solving the case.  I have told Myranda that one of these days an acronym (FBI, NCIS, CSI, or CBI) is going to call me in to help them.  After all, I am already an acronym (PEUMC)!  But she's not convinced.


One of the characters in the show NCIS is named Jethro Gibbs.  Throughout the series various characters reference a set of "rules" that Gibbs has.  So far, not all of Gibbs Rules have been revealed but the show's producers have promised that more will come to light in the upcoming season.  These rules have inspired me to think about my own set of rules that I should follow as a pastor and as a Christian.  So I have created a set that seem like they work for me.  Over time, the rules can be amended and more rules can be added.  At times, the rules have to be bent when a situation arises.  But overall, the rules really help to keep my life and vocation focused.  


When making my rules, I kept in mind Matthew 10:16 when Jesus says, "See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."  I think you will see both sides of the coin reflected in these rules.  Many people think that Christianity is a faith where we have to lay our courage and boldness down and allow other people to walk all over us.  That is simply not so.  In our faith, we are called to speak boldly and truthfully.  We are also called to radical love and hospitality.  In our worldly culture these are backwards.  According to the world you speak kindly and smoothly while acting selfishly.  


The other thing that I kept in mind while creating my set of rules was my deep desire to know God.  In my own experience, the closer I get to God, the more I desire him.  I can't explain why or how, but as my spiritual life continues to develop, the more of God's Spirit I crave.  The more I want to reflect God to a broken world and the more I want to genuinely show people who he is and how they can grow in their relationship too.  


I invite you to read through Wilhite's Rules.  You will notice that I borrowed a few of the rules from others.  Where I did, I have noted it.  I encourage you to draw up a list of rules for yourself.  See what you come up with.  Feel free to comment here about my rules or tell me some of yours.  Until next time... 


Wilhite's Rules
Rule #1: Always start the day with prayer.
Rule #2: Read a chapter from the Old Testament and a chapter from the New Testament every day.
Rule #3: Always Trust God.
Rule #4: Let others use their gifts.
Rule #5: Be a good steward.
Rule #6: Apologize if you hurt someone, but never apologize for your beliefs.
Rule #7: Let your sermon marinate.
Rule #8: Be thankful.
*Rule #9: Always carry a knife.
Rule #10: Respect the elders.
Rule #11: Never let office work take the place of ministry.
Rule #12: Visit the nursing home and shut-ins.
Rule #13: Help those in need, but don’t let them take advantage of you.
Rule #14: Always be ready to give your testimony.
*Rule #15: Always work as a team.
Rule #16: Never “think” of someone, pray for them.
Rule #17: Always forgive.
Rule #18: Always turn your forms in on time.
Rule #19: Always be reading something.
Rule #20: Sing at church.
Rule #21: Shop locally.
Rule #22: Don’t be a slave to your phone.
*Rule #23: Never mess with a Pastor’s coffee, if you want to live.
Rule#24: Eat peppermint during sermon preparation.
Rule #25: Always think sermonically.
Rule #26: Always communicate.
Rule #27: When you communicate, listen more than you speak.
Rule #28: Always be honest with yourself. (To thine own self be true.)
Rule #29: There are always three sides to every story; side 1, side 2, and the truth.
Rule #30: Never confuse membership with discipleship.
Rule #31: Always take time off.
Rule #32: Always tell your spouse and kids you love them.
Rule #33: Never confuse dogmata with doctrines.
Rule #34: Always depend on the Holy Spirit, for everything.
Rule # 35: Never get involved in politics, but always pray for your leaders.
*Rule #36: If you feel like you are being played, you are.
Rule #37: Never sit in the back row of the sanctuary.
Rule #38: Always appreciate tradition, but don’t worship it.
*Rule #39: There is no such thing as coincidence.
*Rule #40: If it seems like someone is out to get you, they are.
Rule #41: If someone gives you something, send a thank you note.
Rule #42: Never disrespect the Sacraments.
Rule #43: Practice the means of grace.
Rule #44: Always use proper grammar.
*Rule #45: Clean up the mess that you make.
Rule #46: Go wherever God sends you.
Rule #47: Never confuse a job with a vocation.
**Rule #48: Do no harm.
**Rule #49: Do good.
**Rule #50: Stay in love with God.
*Rule #51: Sometimes you’re wrong.
Rule #52: Never stop learning.
*These rules come from Gibb’s Rules on NCIS.
**These come from Rueben P. Job’s Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living





Print Page

4 comments:

  1. I, too, enjoy those shows, especially NCIS, as I get a kick out of Zeva's twists on English idioms. And I appreciate your list of rules, all of them, but take note of 37,41,44,45. I could definitely put those on my list. Well, all of them, but those stood out today as I read the blog. So now I am going to start a list of my rules. It kind of goes along with the idea of three main topics. It just so happens that in the Sunday School class I just joined we are studying the Three Simple Rules by Rueben P. Job that you mentioned. Now the trick is to put those rules into practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alice. Good to hear from you. Zeva is funny! But her English is much better than my Hebrew. The neat thing about these rules is that they help us grow in our own life. They are not there to harm us but to make us better. Even Gibbs says that his rule #10 is the hardest for him to keep. It is a daily struggle, but also a delight. I would love to see your list when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin!!! I have issues with #44, other than that I believe these are so doable rules!!! I too should work on some. Did I say that right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim, I graduated with an English degree, taught English for several years, and pride myself on using good grammar. However, sometimes I have problems with #44 too. Keep working on it and remember Rule #52. :-)

    ReplyDelete